tweets

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Lets kick some butts...as long as it is not in my backyard

I have colleague - a Russian Jew who after reading some Leon Uris books started talking about "my people" and "my land" even though he has never been to Israel. So, last week I had to ask him what he thought about the happenings in the Middle East. He said, "We are kicking some butts." To which I replied, "But, you are kicking the wrong butts." He was surprised by this comment. He did not know the details - who Hezbollah was? why Israel was bombing Lebanon? And, how (if any) were the Lebanese involved in this.

He is not alone. There are a number of people here in the US who feel Israel is right to bomb the heck out of Lebanon. They point out that their neighbors don't indulge in terrorist acts. So, if the neighbor indulges in terrorist acts you can bomb the heck out. Very simplistic. US, Iran and Syria are probably having fun watching the Hezbollah and Isreal fight a war on their behalf.

Lets change the scenario. We have a drug problem fuelled by drug peddlers from the south. Assume that these guys pick two of the DEA agents and hold them for ransom or even kill them. Are we justified in bombing Mexico City, if that is where the heads of these drug rings live?

And, what do think the reaction would be if this happens. Do you think the people slipping across the boder will be looking for work or something more sinister. You raze my home I am coming after you.

No comments: