tweets

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Don't know what to make of this

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistanis 'put religion first'

My first thought after reading this news article is that Pakis are atleast honest while Indians have started believing in the lie - the lie of secularism. Now, I won't be surprised by that. Afterall, we have been at it for so long that I would be surprised if we did not "believe" that we are "secular". The reality is still the same - you have different civil laws depending on your religion, holidays for every single religion and get better government handouts if you are part of a "minority". Note that "minority" as defined by the government of india is not necessarily the numerical minority.

BTW, I also noticed that the sample size of the survey is different across India and Pakistan. Next, they going to tell me that they did the Pakistani survey at Madrasa in NWFP on a Friday afternoon and the Indian survey at the Parliament house in Delhi.

No comments: