tweets

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Desis and innovative interpretations of the return policy


I have heard a number of stories of desis FOB use the liberal return policies offered by some stores here to their advantage. Back in 95 when I first came to the US I heard a number of stories about desis on short trips to the US buying electronics and returning it in three months (just within the 90 day return policy). I thought it was just some FOB SOBs who indulged in this kind of behavior. Something happened recently that makes me wonder if it is cultural or even genetic.

I heard this American of Pakistani decent mention that he returned a three year old furniture piece to IKEA. And, what more it does not require the original receipt or packing. Just need to make sure IKEA carries the product in its catalog. Now, I love IKEA. I think it is very utilitarian furniture. But, I could not believe that IKEA return policy was better than that of my other favorite – Costco (It has one of the best return policies). So, I started spreading the word. Soon another guy decided to make use of this new knowledge.

He had piece of furniture that he had bought a while back and did not have a place for it in his new home. He called IKEA and was told that they have 45 day return policy. So we decided to ask our buddy how he managed to return the three year old piece.

Turns out the dude goes and buy a new piece (replacement, as he called it). He then returned the old, used, nicked piece with the new receipt. He passed off the old as new. We called it cheating. And, he pretended he had not heard us.

This is no desi FOB. The guy grew up here, went to a great school and holds a decent job  that lets him  afford more than IKEA.

No comments: