tweets

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Morocco... where desis are welcome

During the December holidays, I went to Morocco - my first trip to Africa (if you do not count the transit through Cairo). I travelled to four cities in Morocco - part of a tour group. The country is beautiful, people are quite friendly and they love desis (more specifically desi movies). Parts of the country, the medina in Fez ... all reminded me of India.

Occassionaly, I did get mistaken for a local (possibly beacuse of my J2M172 connection). Often they would call out - "India?" and when I acknowledged they would greet - "Namaste." Most americans in the tour group were surprised by the reception I got. In one shop in Fez a staff member came to me and started listing out his favorite Hindi movies and actors. He probably has seen more hindi movies than me in the last ten years. He then said his favorite is the music guy - Anu Malik. Anu Malik - who knew? Once I went into a post office in Marakesh to get directions and the guys behind the counter took the opportunity to tell me that they loved Amitabh Bachchan. In the hotel in Warzazat there was no english channel on TV but there was one showing a hindi movie with arabic subtitles. And, when I was on my way back at the Marakesh airport an immigration official came running after me. I stopped for him. He asked me where I was from and when he saw my Indian passport patted me on my back and said - "Welcome." I must tell you I have never been welcomed so warmly in any other country for my Indian passport.

The folks running the food stalls at Djemaa el Fna blew me away with their command of Hindi - inviting me to their stalls in Hindi - all learned by watching Hindi movies.

No comments: