tweets

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Salad Bowl or Melting Pot... who cares?

washingtonpost.com: Myth of the Melting Pot: America's Racial and Ethnic Divides    

It has been a while since I updated my blog. And, it was a while back that my colleagues and I had this discussion over lunch. The topic of conversation was “American culture”. The guy from Russia felt that was an oxymoron. A few of us felt there are very little efforts made to reach out and understand other cultures. Of course, the Pakistani guy felt it was the best – “salad bowl” that is what he called it – take the best of different cultures and throw the worst. Wonder which culture gave him “scheme IKEA” and “share DirecTV receivers”.

Anyway, I wonder why we always get caught up with this mine is better than yours.  The Washington Post special is really good.

No comments: