tweets

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Twenty/20... Clear and Present

If It’s Hip, Fast and Furious, Is It Cricket? - New York Times

I guess NYT (and, Somini Sengupta) should stick to reporting on things that they know about. This is NYT equivalent of Sports Illustrated reporting on the 2000 elections. Maybe, NYT thought Ms. Sengupta is competent to report on Cricket since she is south asian. And, maybe Ms. Sengupta thought she knew cricket because she was born in India. Or, maybe India was not getting enough coverage in this "flat(ulent) world" But, tell me, when did Sree Sreesanth become a batsman.

Anyway, I wonder how many of the NYT readers cared to treat this a little more than one of those travelogue/ exotic sports articles. I remember an American friend of mine (a good midwestern boy) ask me - "Why do you think Cricket is not popular in the US?" with the look which said - "I don't care about your answer." And, I told him - "It is a gentleman's sport."

I had fun reading this open letter to Flintoff

And, I had a good laugh when a friend of mine sent me this.



MISBAH THOUGHT HE WAS SENDING THE BALL TO A PLACE WHERE THERE WAS NO ONE.
HE DID NOT KNOW THAT THERE IS A MALAYALI IN EVERY CORNER OF THE WORLD!!!

I am not sure if I like the Twenty/20 format - with just 20 overs and 11 players it is easy for everyone to get lucky. But, it sure does make for entertaining cricket

No comments: