tweets

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Vista upgrade leaves me kind of pissed off

I got a free copy of Microaoft Vista Business Edition through the Power Together promotion. I had always expected running Vista in 2007 - the64bit media center edition. So, last year I bought a dual core 64bit pc, upgraded the 1GB RAM to 2GB and ran all the Vista upgrade tests to make sure that I can upgrade it to Vista. I called HP support to make sure I can run 64bit. The person on the other end said I could but politely warned me against running 64bit Vista which according to her was the only thing worse than running Vista. I am glad Microsoft has partners like these.

I upgraded my free Vista Business to Ultimate. Now, I believe Vista Business media by default ships the 32bit version. So, I had to pay some7 bucks to get the 64bit media shipped to me.

-1 for Vista

I then got the license upgraded through Windows Anytime upgrade. That works pretty flawlessly

+1 for Vista

The license file will only work if the copy of Vista has been upgraded. I did run into issues related to this. Chalk this down to ID10T issues. But, I figured it out and everything went well.

Contrary to the warnings by the HP support person I found most of my devices functioning except for the sound card. A few hours on PlanetAMd64.com and I had my realtek drivers for audio. It even sounds better than before. That was the best part. FRom there on everything has been downhill.

The user access scheme where even accounts with administrator privileges run as normal user is a pain.

-1 for Vista

Vista kind of hides the folder structure on disk from the user. And, when I tried to move the Users folder (the XP equivalent of Documents & Settings) to the non-OS partition I ran into big problems. I can't understand why Microsoft can't make it easy for users to configure their system. I do unserstand that there are lot of folks with limited knowledge of computers using Windows but hiding the complexity does not help. Either make it simple or educate the user about the complexity.

I still have not been able to create additional accounts on my Vista. The user creation process itself goes off smoothly but when I try to login it throws an error - "User Profile Service service faled logon." (yes, there is "service" twice in that darn error message.) I searched on the web to find more frustrated users facing the same problem.

No comments: