tweets

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Of Borat and other rats

Sometime last month I saw Borat after everyone I know said wonderful things about it. So, I decided to skip waiting for it on Netflix and head to the nearest theater.
Boy, did I hate it.

I thought it was crass. The sensational comments could very well have been made sensational by some creative editing - bait the person for a few hours and then get a 10 second sound bite. And, the whole episode of Jewish couple at the B&B compared to cockroaches was sad. I guess Borat (or, Sacha Cohen) got away with it because he himself is a jew. Wonder what the reaction would have been had Mel Gibson done that peice. That begs the question is it ok for Mr.Cohen make racist comments on Jew and Chris Rock to call African Americans by the N word while it is a crime when Mel Gibson or Michael Richards does it. I am not supporting what Mel Gibson or did Michael Richards did but I do think Cohen and Rock deserve condemned.

Reminds me of a saying - "The problem with white lies is that you soon go color blind."

No comments: