tweets

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Genographic project

Ever since I caught a glimpse a good Tamilian* talking to a white man on PBS when I was channel surfing I have been hooked on Spencer Wells' "Journey of Man". So, when National Geographic and IBM teamed up with him for the Genographic project I started thinking about being a part of the project.

I am J2 (M172) haplogroup. And, here is a study of indian Y chromosomes.

I also came upon an interesting take on the Aryan invasion stuff based on genetics.

Most Brahmins in India are of "Indo-European" origin - J folks like me. Hell, I am no brahmin unless you subscribe to the definition - Brahmin is one who is in search of brahman - the eternal truth. Now, the author of the article referred above feels that the genetic evidence supports Aryan invasion - the invaders put themselves on top of the caste system. Sounds reasonable. But, what I don't understand is why are the Hindu fanatics against the Aryan invasion hypothesis. Afterall, most of these folks are brahmins. Is it because they want to impress upon the rest of the population that they are locals (sons of the soil)?

And, why can't the "Indo-Europeans" in India be descendants of non-invaders, like traders etc...

No comments: