tweets

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Armchair experts on world affairs

On a recent trip to India I was bombarded with questions on stuff about the US -
"What the hell is America doing in Iraq?" "Why on earth would anyone in their right mind elect GWBush - he is an idiot, see we have Dr. Manmohan Singh?" "I hear that they are doing away with Christmas altogether and calling it 'Holidays'?

Each time these questions are the first things these people ask. It made me wonder why they would be so concerned about the US when there are lot of items of interest right there in India.

My response to the questions - I skip the Iraq question. Partly because I have no clue what is happening there, partly because the Americans have no clue either but mostly because I think invading a country in the name of "exporting freedom and democarsy" smacks of arrogance and hypocrisy. As for the GWBush vs. Manhoman Singh I tell them right or wrong Americans elected Bush directly. It was not the wonderful process that our elected folks indulge in - the churning of the mythical ocean which turns up poison and the elixir. This time we got lucky. As for Bush vs. Kerry at least I know what Bush stands for.

Why can't desis discuss and more importantly **act** on things that affect them like corruption, bad governance etc...

No comments: