tweets

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Of life and death

BBC NEWS | South Asia | India carries out rare execution

A friend of mine (a die hard liberal) sent me an email on the hanging - "hanging people in the 21st century is quite ridiculous
regardless of the crime.....what the heck next...public beheadings a la Saudi Arabia?"

I don't have a stance on death penalty. I don't like the idea of people being incarcerated for lifew, living a safe but confined life at the tax payer's expense. I am too much a capitalist - I would prefer the cheaper of all the options.

But, I do find it odd that that a nation that does sex determination tests on unborn child and aborts female foetus feels strongly in favor of death penalty. How about death penalty for those who abort female foetus, the ones who cause dowry deaths?

And, it is interesting to see that they did not feel the need to DNA testing before sending this man to his death.

No comments: