tweets

Saturday, May 22, 2004

What was that again, Sam...

Last week I heard Sam Pitroda speak. I was in the same room as him. To me it was a big deal. You see it was Sam who made me choose Communications Engineering as my undergrad major. In 1987, when I was going off to college I had great dreams about the Telecom revolution that Sam and his people would usher. And, I wanted to be one of his people, ushering this revolution.

During my college years I increasingly started questioning the appropriateness of "appropriate technology". The Telecom revolution did not happen for another ten years. And, when it happened it was not because of Sam and his team but the market. While Sam and his team did bring some progress, their progress and "appropriate technology" was rendered irrelevant by the rapid adoption of mobile telephones in India. Today, getting a land line in India is as difficult as it was ten years back but nobody cares any longer because they can get a cellphone in a jiffy. In fact, the mobile phone adoption has reduced the demand for land lines.

So, it was interesting to see Sam get on the podium and say how he got sick of the previous govt. claiming credit for all the advancements that he and Rajiv Gandhi brought, that he got on a plane to India to campaign against the govt. and let the "truth" be known. And, he again mentioned "appropriate technology".

I am inclined to say - "Sam, thanks for nothing". But, I think the man is well intensioned. However, "appropriate technology" is all BS. The market is unforgiving. If there is a machine that can do the job of ten people, the machine will and should win. Even if it means that ten people are without a job. And, it will win over a machine that employes five people.

The job of the government is to help people create opportunities for themselves and not provide handouts. Just because we have a large popluation we cannot create "aapropriate technologies" that will employ people. Such half steps will amount to nothing in the competitive market.

No comments: